Thursday, October 9, 2008

For my bithday: Saint Mark's Tart

This is a layer genoise cake with whipped cream and egg yolk glaze. It's called Saint Mark's tart, I don't know. It taste very delicate, is very light and moist. Fantastic.

Making this tart has been a challege for me. It has cost me time, but it wasn't as difficult as I imagined. I encourage you to try it. The bakery version is delicious. This is even better.

I had lots of fun using my new torch for the first time. I still need to improve though... I'll keep rehearsing. I can't let the boys see it. The danger is too big.

Saint Mark's Tart

Serves 8

Ingredients:

Genoise cake:
  • 3 eggs
  • Its weight in sugar
  • Weight of two eggs in flour
  • 100 gr. melted butter
Syrup:
  • 125 gr. sugar
  • 125 ml. water
Filling:
  • 500 gr. de whipping cream, very cold
  • 16 gr. vanille sugar
  • powdered sugar to taste (I guessed)
Egg yolk glaze:
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 100 gr. sugar
  • 4 tablespoons water
Method:

Cake:
  1. Whisk egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm.
  2. Add egg yolks, one at a time and the sugar, stirring constantly. Carefully add flour with folding movements so the air doesn't come out of the batter.
  3. Pour melted and cold butter little by little. Grease and flour a round cake pan. Pour in the batter.
  4. Bake it at 170º in a preheated oven for 45 min.
  5. When it is still hot, slice it horizontally in two halves and brush each one with the syrup.
Syrup:
  1. Boil water and sugar for five minutes while the cake is in the oven. Reserve.
Filling:
  1. Whipp the cream. When it starts to thicken, add vanille sugar and powdered sugar to taste. Whipp until very firm. Put it in the fridge.
  2. Put the bottom layer of the cake on a serving plate. Put the cake ring around. Pour the cold whipping cream on the layer and return it to the fridge to set, a couple of hours. Then put the top cake slice on the cream and put the tart in the fridge again.
Egg yolk Glaze:
  1. Boil sugar and water. It has reach the point whe you get fine threads out of a little bit of the mixture. I don't like putting my fingers in the hot syrup: when the bubbles star to turn white, you've reachede the point.
  2. Beat yolks in a saucepan, it can't be aluminium, that would turn the yolks green.
  3. Slowly pour your syrup over the egg yolks stirring constantly.
  4. bring the pan close to the heat and whisk until it starts to thicken.
  5. Spread the glaze over the cake and smooth it with the spatula.
  6. Caramelize it with the torch (or a couple of minutes under your oven grill)
Et... voilà:
Serve very cold.

0 comments: