My mother in law's recipe
For the dough:
- 500 gr.flour
- 20 gr. fresh yeast or 15 gr. instant yeast
- 80 gr oil or malted butter (I use oil olive)
- 250 ml. tied milk, body temperature
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1000 grams onions, sliced
- 200 gr. bacon, cut in small squares
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 500 ml. sour cream
- Salt, pepper, cumin (optional)
- Make the filling: sautée onions with bacon and reserve for later. One this side of the planet, you don't find sour cream in the supermarkets, so you can make it adding a tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice and letting it rest for a couple of minutes. Our sour cream it's ready. Mix then beaten eggs with cream and the species you'd like. I just add salt and a little bit of pepper; cumin we don't like. When the onion - bacon mixture is cold, mix it with eggs - cream batter. Set aside.
- Let's make the dough. Mix tepid milk with yeast. In a big bowl put the flour and then push the center down, to make place for the other ingredients. Pour milk mixture in the hole little by little. Mix it with enough flour to obtain a sticky dough.
- Make a groove between the bowl's wall and the flour and pour oil in it. Add salt. Now add the sugar over the sticky batter.
- Preheat your oven at 50º C , put the bowl in it and let the dough rise for about 15 min. Next, you have to mix everything vigorously, until you have a smooth dough, which doesn't stick to your fingers. Maybe you have to add some more flour or milk, it depends on your flour and the humidity.
- Grease a baking sheet. Roll your dough rather fine, it thickets quite a bit. Put it on the baking sheet. Leave a high rim.
- Pour the cream - egg- onion - bacon mixture onto the rolled dough. Leave it in the oven at 50º C for at least 20 minutes.
- Bake at 200º C for half an hour, until the dough is cooked and the filling golden.
Serve hot, with a nice salad and some white wine, Federweisser (german young wine), if you can find it.