The other day I was having a look at my recipes, I found this one. This cake has the season's taste: apples, walnuts and cinnamon. Its appearance is a little bit terrible, that happens when you don't grease enough your bake form: it sticks. Fortunately this doesn't affect the flavor and my family loves me so much they don't shove it in my face...The original recipe culminates the cake with a glaze, either brown sugar or coffee. I've tried it already with the coffee glaze. It suits the cake perfectly, but when I finished it, it was late and Ugly Betty (one of my favorite series) was just about to start...
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 apples, grated (I only cut them in pieces but greated is better)
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons vanille extract
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 60 gr. butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee (espresso)
- Generously grease your cake form (if you don't want to end up like me).
- Beat eggs, oil, sugar, walnuts and vanille. Add apples.
- Sift flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Combine everything and let rest for tirty minutes.
- Turn oven on at 180º C.
- Bake for one hour in preheated oven or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool down about 10 minutes before you take it out of the tin.
- If you're glazing it, poke some holes in the cake so that gazes can well seep through it.
- Cut the ingredients in a pot until the thicken. Pour over hot cake.
- Mix powdered sugar and coffee until you have a smooth batter. Pour it over hot cake.