Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Apple Cake

I copied this recipe out of the book of a dearest friend of mine: Sue. Sue is in Heaven, but I remember her daily. She's alive in my heart. Ten years ago, a lapse of concentration at the wheel deprived us of her company. Some mistakes you pay with your life...

The other day I was having a look at my recipes, I found this one. This cake has the season's taste: apples, walnuts and cinnamon. Its appearance is a little bit terrible, that happens when you don't grease enough your bake form: it sticks. Fortunately this doesn't affect the flavor and my family loves me so much they don't shove it in my face...The original recipe culminates the cake with a glaze, either brown sugar or coffee. I've tried it already with the coffee glaze. It suits the cake perfectly, but when I finished it, it was late and Ugly Betty (one of my favorite series) was just about to start...

Apple Cake

Ingredients:

Cake:
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 apples, grated (I only cut them in pieces but greated is better)
  • 1 cup sunflower oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanille extract
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
Brown sugar Glaze:
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 60 gr. butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
Mocha Glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons strong coffee (espresso)
Method:
  1. Generously grease your cake form (if you don't want to end up like me).
  2. Beat eggs, oil, sugar, walnuts and vanille. Add apples.
  3. Sift flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl.
  4. Combine everything and let rest for tirty minutes.
  5. Turn oven on at 180ยบ C.
  6. Bake for one hour in preheated oven or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  7. Let cool down about 10 minutes before you take it out of the tin.
  8. If you're glazing it, poke some holes in the cake so that gazes can well seep through it.
Brown sugar glaze:
  1. Cut the ingredients in a pot until the thicken. Pour over hot cake.
Mocha glaze:
  1. Mix powdered sugar and coffee until you have a smooth batter. Pour it over hot cake.

0 comments: