Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Our Favorite Cake


We've got something to celebrate: after countless requests to different professionals, a plumber has agreeded to visit our humble home and has proceeded to fixing the bathroom that's been useless quite a  long time now. Halleluja! I have to thank our piano teacher, P. Thank you, P., I don't know if we'll ever be able to pay you back someday...

Astonishing how difficult it is that a handyman should come to your home to fix something. If ever a plug should go bad, a blind brake down or the cistern would stop working (all these I have experience with) you're lost...It's so difficult to have it fixed as to find a good dentist: no hope without a recomendation. I don't really know why, if there're too much demand or too few handymen, but it's a fact: pumblers, electricians, they are endangered species.

To celebrate, I've made the family's favorite cake. I don't usually bake it because they only need a couple of days to finish it off (so enthusiastic are they) and because I like to vary (although children always want the same). Many years ago my mother visited french conversation classes somewhat peculiar, they were given by Madame Cugnac, director of the Aliance Fran├žaise, while she cooked. At the end of the "lesson", there was a tasting. I used to assit when I came to visit, since I lived abroad then, and my mother kept all recipes to give them to me. I have them all compiled in a book that I've named La Cuisine de Madame Cugnac  and I will be sharing some of these wonders with the world.

This cake suits the moment perfectly since one of the ingredients is ground hazelnuts. It's very moist if you consider it has no glaze and it's doesn't feel heavy at all while you're eating it...but be ware of the dosis, it's a bomb.

Hazelnut Cake
De Madame Cugnac

Ingredients:
  • Eggs (It depends how big you want your cake to be, I took three large)
  • Its weight in flour
  • Its weight in butter (room temperature)
  • Its weight in sugar
  • Its weight in roasted hazelnuts
  • Baking powder (for three large eggs, one teaspoon, add more or less in proportion)
  • A pinch of salt
Method:
  1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. Add eggs, one after the other, until they are well blended.
  3. In a bowl, mix flour with salt and baking powder.
  4. Ground hazelnuts.You can also buy them already grounded, but nuts contain a lot of oil and turn rancid very quickly, so it's better to buy them whole and ground then when you need them. To do this, put a tablespoon sugar, so the grease don't glue the hazelnut flour.
  5. Add flour and hazelnut meal.
  6. Add butter cream to flours. Stir just enough to make a smooth batter.
  7. Grease a ectangular cake pan, pour the batter and bake in a preheated oven at 180┬║ for about an hour . If it browns to quickly, cover the cake with some aluminium foil in the oven.


    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    What is its weight??

    Conguito said...

    You weight the eggs and you use this messure for the others ingredients, for example, lets say your eggs weight 200gr. You need 200gr flour, sugar, butter and hazelnuts.