Last week, child #3 had to make a speech in english class. Her topic: Christmas in Germany. This gave me cause to bake some traditional german christmas cookies to ilustrate her presentation.
As usual, they are quick to make and to consume. I strongly recommend them.
Backen macht Freude
- 250 gr. flour
- A pinch of salt
- 125 gr. caster sugar
- 8 gr. vanille sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 200 gr. cold butter
- 125 gr. almonds, raw
- 50 gr. powdered sugar and some vanille sugar mixed for dusting
- In a bowl, sift flour and baking powder..
- Ground your almonds. You can also buy almond meal, but they quickly turn rancy, because of the high grease content, so I find it better to buy the almonds and ground them at home. Put a tablespoon sugar so it becomes a loose almond meal. Mix all the ingredients to make a dough.
- Line a baking sheet.
- Cut the dough in little pieces and roll each one like a 3/4 cm diameter snake.Cut each snake in 5 cm long pieces and bend them a little bit and put them on the baking sheet.
- Bake the at 180ºC in a normal oven or at 160º C if it has hot air, about 10 minutes.They shouldn't brown.
- Dust generously with the powdered sugar mixture when they're still hot.