Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cupcakes with Pears, Cashews, Coffee and Caramel

I found this recipe here. They struck me as mouthwatering and original. Nevertheless, they hit me in a creative moment and I introduced some variations, so I'm going to write my version. I suspect that in the original recipe, caramel was just meant to caramelize pears and nuts. I ended up with quite some sauce so I added it to the dough. That made these cupcakes very toffee-like, huuummm, delicious...


Cupcakes with pears and cashews
About 18 cupcakes

Ingredients:
Dough:
  • 1 1/3 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 sachet baking powder (about 8 grs.)
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 65 ml sunflower oil
  • 2 pears, cut into little pieces
  • 1/2 cups cashews, chopped
Caramel sauce:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter
Coffee glaze:
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon strong coffee
Method:
  1. In a skillet, melt sugar until it becomes golden. Add butter and when it's melted, add brown cashews and pears.
  2. In a bowl, mix flour, sugar and baking powder. Reserve.
  3. Combine eggs, milk and oil in another bowl. Add this mixture to the flour. Stir just enough to combine, if you stir too much, cupcakes will harden.
  4. Add caramelize pears and cashews carefully.
  5. Prepare some cupcakes papers or tins. Fill them up to 3/4 partes and bake them in preheated oven at 180ยบ C for 20 minutes proximately.
  6. For the glaze, mix powdered sugar with coffee. Poke some holes in the still hot cupcakes and brush them with the glaze.
These cupcakes are very spongy and juicy. This taste mixture, pears, toffee, coffee and cashews is a good combination. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

0 comments: