Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lime and Meringue Pie



This is one of my favorite pies. I just can't resist it. If allowed I could gobble it, afterwards I'd surely have to have my stomach pumped out...Not even the shadow of this pie was left...

I normally fill this pie with lemon curd, but this time I had to prove that limes and lemons are not the same... I don't like my meringue with lots of sugar. It's a nice contrast to the sweet curd. So, this was like a little sunshine in this unpleasant winter that we are having.

Lime Curd
For a 26 cm. pie shell

Ingredients

* one pie crust
* zest of 4 limes
* 125 ml. freshly pressed lime juice (5 to 6 limes)
* 285 gr. sugar
* 250 gr. soft butter
* 5 big eggs
* a pinch of salt
* 3 egg whites
* 3 tablespoons powdered sugar

Method

1.- Mix zest with sugar.
2.- Beat butter and sugar until you have a cream.
3.- Add eggs, one at a time.
4.- Pour in the juice and salt.
5.- Cook it in a water bath for 15 min aprox., removing constantly with a wodden spoon. The curd is done when it covers the back of the spoon. If you run your finger on the back of the spoon you have to see like a "road". Let it cool completely.
6.- Fill in the pie shell or eat it with the spoon, if you can't help it...

Meringue

1.- Beat the egg whites until firm. Add the powdered sugar and beat again.
2.- Put it gracefully over the filled pie. Grill it, be careful, I almost burned it!

0 comments: