Pumpkin Cake with Orange and Walnuts
Adapted from Madame Cugnac
For a 26 cm can
- 800 gr. pumpkin puree
- 2 oranges
- 200 gr. sugar
- 80 gr. grated walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 gr. butter, melted
- 120 gr. flour
- 150 gr. shelled walnuts (130 gr. chopped and 20 gr. in halves to decorate)
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites divided
- 1/2 envelope baking powder (about 2 teaspoons)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- To make the pumpkin puree: cut the pumpkin in four big chuncks, use a serrated knife and sawing motions, otherwise the knife can slip and you can hurt yourself. With a spoon, take out the seeds. Place it in a microwaveable bowl with lid and cook it on high for 20 min. or until the flesh is tender. Scoop out the pulp and mix it with a hand blender.
- We need the zest of the other orange. Squize both orange to get the juice. Mix pumpkin puree, orange zest and juice. Add the vanilla extract.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until pale.
- Now add flour, baking powder, grated and chopped walnuts and pumpkin puree.
- It's time for the melted butter to come in.
- Perare your pan (grease it and coat it with flour). Pour in the cake mixture.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 210 ºC for aproximately one hour.
- Take it out of the pan when completely cooled. Arrage nicely your walnut halves on top of it. Roll the orange peel like flowers and dust with powdered sugar.