Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chocolate and rolled oats bars

I'm still exploring my microwave oven possibilities. This huge thing that's eating up one third of my kitchen working space is trully useful. It's funny: flats, rooms and kitchens tend to get smaller. Nevertheless, there are abundant numbers of "decorative" accessoires on the market which take our space away. If I think about it, my microwave oven isn't decorative at all...

I should get to the point. After one of my kids, these bars taste like brownies. They remind me of chocolate fudge with porridge. And you?

Chocolate and rolled oats bars
Adaptaded from Técnicas Avançadas, Curso práctico de Microondas

Ingredients:
  • 100 gr. brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 175 gr. flour
  • 175 gr. butter
  • 175 gr. rolled oats
  • 400 gr. sweet condensed milk
  • 150 gr. dark chocolate
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 100 gr. walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
Method:
  1. In a bowl, put sugar, salt and flour. Add butter cut in pieces and oats. Mix lightly until you have a dough like breadcrumbs.
  2. Put 2/3 of this dough in a 20x30 cm microwave safe form, pressing well.
  3. Cook in the microwave at 50% power for 6 min. The form will probably be to big and the plate won't be able to rotate, turn after 3 min. Set aside.
  4. Put sweet condensed milk in another bowl, add chocolate in chunks and cocoa powder. Cook it at the highest power (mine is 850) for 3 min., stirring each minute.
  5. Spread chocolate cream over cooked oats layer.
  6. If you're going to add nuts, this is the moment: sprinkle them over chocolate cream.
  7. Cover everything with the 1/3 remaining oats dough. I mashed it with my fingers to make it very thin so I was able to cover the whole surface.
  8. Cook it in microwave at highest power for 6 min or until chocolate cream begins to bubble. Remember to rotate form after half the time.
  9. Let it cool down completely. Cut it in bars.

0 comments: